Special Driver's Licenses and Identification Cards Help Veterans Gain Access to Benefits

Through their service to our country, veterans have earned a wide range of benefits.

However, it can be difficult to verify their service in order to acquire those benefits. In fact, not having proof of military service is one of biggest obstacles veterans face gaining access to resources, benefits, and services. As such, a new law that I had the privilege of supporting is fixing this problem by adding the word "veteran" to California identification cards.

Starting this November 12, 2015 veterans can easily prove their eligibility to receive state and federal veterans benefits without having to carry inconvenient and inefficient papers.

Applying for the veteran driver's license and ID is easy:

  1. Simply find your military discharge certificate (DD214). If you need help obtaining your military records, then contact your local County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO).
  2. Stop by your local CVSO with your DD214 for verification.
  3. Go to dmv.ca.gov, or call the DMV at 1-800-777-0133, to make an appointment. Bring your verified application form, and the small $5 application fee.

You must complete all applicable requirements. The application form certifies the veteran applying for the veteran ID card is from the active armed forces, and was discharged under honorable circumstances.

Our Local CVSO offices:

County of Riverside Department of Veterans' Services
44-199 Monroe Street
Indio, CA 92201
(800) 481-2101
(760) 863-8266
(760) 863-8478

Ralph Duarte, Vet Rep, U.S. Army (760) 863-8477
Jon Dagneau, Veterans Representative, U.S. Air Force (760) 863-8470

County of Imperial Department of Veterans' Services
2695 S. 4th St.
El Centro, CA 92243
Roberto Avila- Veteran Service Officer/ Phone (760) 337-5018
Lorena Lacar- Veteran Representatives/ Phone (760) 337-5012

Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.-4:00p.m.