The California Earned Income Tax Credit
The California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) is now available for more families this year. This cash-back credit is designed to put money in the pockets of low-income working families and individuals.
If you qualify for the CalEITC and the amount of the credit is greater than the tax you owe, you will receive a refund.
- You must file a state tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not otherwise required to file.
- You must have earned income from W-2 wages, salaries, tips, or other employee compensation subject to California withholding. (For the CA EITC, earned income does not include income from self-employment.)
- You, your spouse, and any qualifying children must each have a social security number issued by the Social Security Administration that is valid for employment.
- You must file using the single, married/registered domestic partner (RDP) filing jointly, or head of household filing status. The "married/RDP filing separately" status may not be used.
- You must either:
- Meet the rules for those without a qualifying child; or
- Have an individual that meets all of the qualifying child rules for you or your spouse if you file a joint return.
- Your principal residence must be in California for more than half the tax year.
- Both your adjusted gross income and earned income must be no more than 30,000.
- The tax credit you’d receive is defined as follows:
- No qualifying children $240
- One qualifying child $1,605
- Two qualifying children $2,651
- Three or more qualifying children $2,982
More information and assistance can be found at CalEITC4Me.org.